www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Daniel Shahaf <...@daniel.shahaf.name>
Subject Re: Apache license versus other licensing techniques...
Date Fri, 05 Jul 2013 10:49:43 GMT
Tarmo Pikaro wrote on Thu, Jul 04, 2013 at 14:43:06 -0700:
> I would like to discuss further about idea of making mixture of software - software which
is proprietary ,
> and eventually returns back to open source code base.

I don't see the problem here.  Taking a concrete example, Google
and WANdisco ther own closed-source softwares which modify or extend the
Subversion core.  The Apache License, version 2.0 does not prevent that,
nor does it prevent them from contributing back their changes down the
road, should they want to.

> I do understand that currently I can contribute under the same licensing as was before
- as written here:

> http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#Distribute-changes
>

> but I find it bit offensive statement - so licensing of source code cannot be changed.

You are given subversion-1.8.0.tar.gz under the Apache License.  You may
use it under the terms of that license.  Those terms permit you to make
modifications and maintain *the modifications* under a difference
license.  Those terms also permit you to take the entire thing and
re-distribute it under another license, subject to certain terms.

Daniel