www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject RE: distribution to proprietary channels / app stores
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2013 02:43:05 GMT
Just to close one circle Shane refers to...

Brian has already reached out to operations@ where I suggested actually
getting the account set up would be the easy part. Approval from VP
Legal and VP Infra are (probably) the harder steps in the process.

I'd also want VP Branding to review policy relating to use of the
account.

Finally, the board need to be given a chance to raise objections.

I proposed getting VP legal and infra approval first. I'd be happy to
take the final steps.

Ross

Sent from my Windows Phone From: Shane Curcuru
Sent: 7/30/2013 7:02 AM
To: legal-discuss@apache.org
Subject: Re: distribution to proprietary channels / app stores
On 7/27/13 9:39 PM, Brian LeRoux wrote:
> This is the information and/or authority I require to register for the
> program to distribute in the App Store:

Please do *not* register the ASF yet.  This is a two step process to
start with:

- Working with operations@ to determine how the ASF as an organization
would hold onto the master account.  I.e. I would expect Ross/Sam
(President & VP Infra) would task someone in infra to do the actual
registration and so on of the official corporate account.  Since this is
first for the ASF, it should be Prez/infra organizing the master account.

Personally, given the interest in this, I don't see why someone can't
start this process over on operations@, at least to start the
application process (although not yet make releases / give out committer
accounts yet).

In particular,

- Working with legal to figure out how app store / "binary" releases
work with our license and policies.  There are a number of issues about
official releases (i.e. provided by PMCs on behalf of the ASF as a
corporation) that we'd need to review legal issues and especially
document policies.

I agree with you and AOO and Greg and others that while "officially" the
ASF has focused on source releases in the past, that it is very
important for us to provide "binaries" (or whatever you want to call
them) in places like the app store / play store for our users.  The ASF
has grown from a place of uber-geek core server services projects to a
broad array of technologies, many of which we are very much
under-serving by not providing this kind of official release for real users.

Here, it sounds like we have several projects that are serious about
making releases here with what seem to be specific use cases, which is
an excellent way to start.

> - The legal authority to bind your company/organization to Apple
> Developer Program legal agreements.
> - A registered legal entity name. This name will appear as the
> "Seller" in the App Store.
> - Address for the company’s principal place of business or corporate
> headquarters.
> - A D-U-N-S Number assigned to a legal entity. Learn more.
> - A valid credit card for purchase.
>
> Is this list the right place ask about these things or is this more in
> operations@apache.org realm?
>

> On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 9:28 PM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:
>> Hey guys, I've answered this earlier in the thread but, again, yes the
>> Cordova PMC wants to do this! =)
>>
>> We do and have done many releases via ./dist but this is different.
>> We're hoping to release an app that will help users test Cordova based
>> applications without having to provision a device with the Apple
>> Developer program themselves. Cordova releases contain code for many
>> platforms, operating systems, testing utilities, and so on. This is
>> just a companion app for helping devs get started faster. (This is a
>> precious distinction but one I think that is worth mentioning.)
>>
>> My line of inquiry was to determine if there was precedent or policy
>> here. From what I'm reading the answer is no. I'll link up relevant
>> documentation from Apple and open issues to that effect.
>>
>> What if I create an Apple Developer account under the name Apache
>> Software Foundation? That is the outcome I'm looking for.

to Apache projects, however it is not necessarily the place where you will get a definitive
policy answer.

to the Apple App store, the PMC should probably open a LEGAL JIRA ticket with the details
of specifically what the project wants to do.  That way, we can nail down the specific plans,
and then VP, Legal can work with counsel to review the agreements, etc.

Cordova PMC making an official release, or is this just some committers on the project who
want to do this?

>>> Well, I assume that is the question at hand… If not, then there may not be
much to talk about on legal-discuss… Unless there are questions about licensing/dependencies
on apple software -- in either case, specific questions/scenarios are really helpful.

ensure that users of that software have maximum freedoms as specified by the Apache license.
 So I would imagine you would first release a normal Apache release (i.e. on /dist), and then
if the PMC believes it will help the project's users, you would figure out how to then create
an additional release on the App store, because it would be useful to more users.

>>> Yes. I imagine similarly.
>>>
>>> If the Cordova PMC is interested in pursuing, then I would expect them to have
performed some investigation and have some specific questions/concerns. It would be really
helpful to list (point to) apple's terms and conditions / developer agreements, etc that need
to be understood/investigated.  That way we all don't have to go searching https://developer.apple.com/
for relevant docs. At the moment, it looks like this may be difficult/impossible. A number
of Apple developer systems are shutdown due to their recent security problems -- https://developer.apple.com/support/system-status/