www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Error collecting infrastructure for Openmeetings
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2013 09:30:34 GMT
Hello, Infra and Legal folks,

We ask you for advice on the automated error collection
infrastructure. Any helpful ideas are appreciated.

1. Our users are tainted with iphones and other reliable and fancy
staff. They start wanting openmeetings to work reliably. This makes us
think of a global error collecting infrastructure to plan important
bug fixes. Here is an example by Firefox [1].

We believe collecting user errors is generally ok if proper
preparations are made. Is it generally possible to implement error
collecting infrastructure as a part of Apache project? If not, we can
try to do it as a commercial company, yet Firefox example shows a
non-commercial org can be behind that error collection.

2. Could we use Google Analytics to store collected errors? The
general Apache practice is to use Apache infrastructure. Google
Analytics allows us storing 50 mln. events for free. The comparable
thing won't be free for Apache for sure.

Once can use JIRA, or Confluence via API, this will be a heavy load.
Are you ok with using third party for storing error & environment
messages and associated risks?

The code we are talking about is below:
       try {
               _gaq = _gaq || [];
               _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-13024987-1']); // PMC id
               _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);
               _gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Openmeetings client error',
message, '', 0, true]);
       } catch (exception) {
               alert(exception);
       }

3. Is it ok for PMC to share Google Analytics id? Should we use some
Apache Id instead?

4. Which preparations should be done to start this error collection
service in the next release?

4.1. Is it ok just to semi-silently mention in release notes, that
errors are automatically sent to the (Google) server right now?
4.2. Or should we explicitly notify each new user that the errors are
now to be collected?
4.3. If 4.2. holds, can we ask once per user at the beginning of his
session and remember if he agreed sharing error reports? Or should we
allow a user to review each error report each time the error is sent
(I expect 5-10 errors per standard openmeetings session)? Can we have
a checkbox "Remember my choice" or a button "Send error reports
always" for those, who are tied of error messages?

[1] https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/050f1aab-1507-4c8f-a166-9b3322130422

Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095