www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Luciano Resende <luckbr1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Licensing for zlib and bzip2 compression libraries on Windows
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2013 19:25:40 GMT
On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 8:45 AM, Donal Lafferty
<donal.lafferty@citrix.com>wrote:

>  The makers of bzip2 and zlib have posted NuGet packages at
> http://nuget.org/packages/bzip2/ and http://nuget.org/packages/zlib/respectively.  The
packages bring their functionality to developers on
> Windows using the .NET Framework and C#.   ****
>
> ** **
>
> However, each library has its own licensing terms.  I.e. they do not use a
> broad license such as Apache License Version 2.0.  The precise licensing
> terms are given the following links
> https://raw.github.com/coapp-packages/bzip2/master/LICENSE and
> http://zlib.net/zlib_license.html ****
>
> ** **
>
> Have these terms already been approved by Apache Software Foundation?****

These seems to be based on the BSD license. But I'd wait for others to
comment, particularly on the ZLib license which has an extra item on the
license (compared to vanilla BSD).

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende