www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Copyright or license of User mailing list response
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2013 13:48:46 GMT
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM, Roger L. Whitcomb
<Roger.Whitcomb@actian.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>   We had a question from a Pivot user who had gotten a smallish piece of code as a response
to one of her questions on the Pivot User list from one of my colleagues. The code was sort
of an abstraction of something we had done with the Pivot components, so it wasn't exactly
what we have in our product. It was more of a teaching exercise. But now her employer wants
to know if that code is licensed under the Apache 2.0 license like the Pivot code is. Presumably
because it (or a close derivative of it) is going into their product.

> So, I guess I need some clarification if there is any implied copyright and/or license
associated with stuff that goes into User mailing list responses.

Check out section 5 and the definition of "Contribution" in section 1:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html

> I will also talk with our corporate counsel, although I'm on vacation right now so that
will be difficult.

> Thanks,
> ~Roger Whitcomb
> Apache Pivotâ„¢ PMC Chair