www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: CC-BY in context
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2013 04:33:13 GMT
Along with training myself to stamp out “relicensing” wherever I encounter it, it is also
fascinating to me that the ASF iCLA is transitive in effect.  The key phrase:

   "You hereby grant to the Foundation and to
   recipients of software distributed by the
   Foundation a [... copyright license to ...]
   Your Contributions and such derivative works."

There's a similar "and to recipients of software distributed by the Foundation" clause in
the Grant of Patent License section.

The SGA is not so transitive.

 - Dennis

From: Lawrence Rosen [mailto:lrosen@rosenlaw.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 6, 2013 05:16 PM
To: legal-discuss@apache.org
Cc: Lawrence Rosen
Subject: RE: CC-BY in context

[ … ]

As I’ve argued before, “relicensing” is a bogus word; nobody can relicense someone else’s
work. As for “sublicensing,” which I think you meant, that’s not necessary if *everyone*
gets an identical license directly from the copyright owner, which is how CC-BY works. (FWIW,
that is also how patent licenses from IBM are often worded, without sublicensing allowed.)

/Larry