www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Copyright or license of User mailing list response
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2013 15:26:55 GMT
I don't see how ALv2 applies here, since the "contribution" was made on an user mailing list,
it was in response to a question there, and was not a submission to the project as such.
The iCLA, if the colleague has provided one, doesn't cover this either (since this is hardly
a distribution of software by the Foundation).

Unless there is some sort of statement elsewhere that all appearances of copyrightable subject
matter on user@ ... constitute general contributions (the usual, grant of license to make,
traffic in, blah, blah, blah) or are under the ALv2 unless otherwise specified, this was some
sort of casual activity to which the Foundation is not a party and I don't see how it qualifies
under the definition of "contribution."

I would say that Whitcomb's colleague is the ideal party to clarify that others are free to
use the part of his response that was original work (or even assert that the complete response
is licensed under ALv2).  That assertion should be enough to satisfy the party that wants
to employ the code.  Whether the colleague has the right to do so is a different matter.

It seems to me that the Foundation has nothing to say in the situation as described.

 - Dennis

(Of course I don't even play a lawyer on cable, but most of this is about plain English.)

-----Original Message-----
From: sa3ruby@gmail.com [mailto:sa3ruby@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Sam Ruby
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 06:49 AM
To: legal-discuss@apache.org

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM, Roger L. Whitcomb
<Roger.Whitcomb@actian.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>   We had a question from a Pivot user who had gotten a smallish piece of code as a response
to one of her questions on the Pivot User list from one of my colleagues. The code was sort
of an abstraction of something we had done with the Pivot components, so it wasn't exactly
what we have in our product. It was more of a teaching exercise. But now her employer wants
to know if that code is licensed under the Apache 2.0 license like the Pivot code is. Presumably
because it (or a close derivative of it) is going into their product.

> So, I guess I need some clarification if there is any implied copyright and/or license
associated with stuff that goes into User mailing list responses.

Check out section 5 and the definition of "Contribution" in section 1:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html

> I will also talk with our corporate counsel, although I'm on vacation right now so that
will be difficult.

> Thanks,
> ~Roger Whitcomb
> Apache Pivotâ„¢ PMC Chair