On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 6:30 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 12:53 AM, Henri Yandell <henri@yandell.org> wrote:

>> On May 2, 2013, at 5:23 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > Taken all together, the original question[2] can now be re-posed thus:
>> >
>> >  Should ASF policy allow object form Category B artefacts to be
>> > checked into SVN?
>
> Thanks for the focus Sam, I think there is a subset of that question before
> us.
>
> We've identified that there are three types of file:
>
> 1) Source form of software.
> 2) Binary form of software, created from Source.
> 3) Other form of file not classed as the above.

I still prefer the terms 'source' and 'object'.  It is not clear to me
that there needs to be a third category.

> Images comfortably fall into #3. Fonts are an open question as to whether
> they are #2 or #3.

Um, pretty much all of the images on my weblog are in source form.  :-)

Depending on how they are produced and maintained, fonts could be
either source or object.  And based on the research that Kevan did,
the specific fonts in question are clearly object.

Fair enough, I'm assuming a more archaic world in which all logos came from EPS or Illustrator files; or PSDs. Using SVG everywhere does solve things.

I don't understand the rationale for being very staunch on source-only yet allowing scripts that pull binary files from other locations, but no one else seems concerned by it, so I'll stop being a pain in the butt. :)

Hen