www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Thompson <jt...@us.ibm.com>
Subject RE: updating w.a.o/legal/resolved for Creative Commons Attribution
Date Fri, 24 May 2013 17:47:56 GMT

Larry,
   I just looked again at the Apache license and I don't see any statement
similar to 4.a that the Work can only be distributed under the Apache
terms.  I see a broad right to distribute, unfettered.  I also see a
sentence that explicitly states that you can have separate terms cover your
modifications, but how would that withdraw the rights from the broad grant?

   Is it your understanding that unless the license says that you can
distribute under different terms, you have to distribute under the same
terms under which you received the code?
Jeff

"Lawrence Rosen" <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote on 05/23/2013 10:52:08 PM:

> Kevan,
>
> I believe that CC-BY should remain Category A.
>
> The statement you quoted from the license would apply to the Apache
License
> also. Nobody can distribute an Apache work except under the terms of the
> Apache License. As for derivative works, that's another matter....
>
> /Larry

Attribution

> On May 17, 2013, at 3:31 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> license.

> >> Done.
> >
> > Drilling down into the actual license, I note the following text:
> >
> > 4.a. "You may Distribute or Publicly Perform the Work only under the
> > terms of this License."

Jeff

Counsel, IBM Corporation  (914)766-1757  (tie)8-826  (fax) -7164