www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (398J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: GPL Incompatibility in Apache Tika 1.2
Date Fri, 31 May 2013 14:44:02 GMT
Mark,

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org>
Date: Friday, May 31, 2013 7:39 AM
To: "legal-discuss@apache.org" <legal-discuss@apache.org>
Cc: jpluser <chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov>, "dev@tika.apche.org"
<dev@tika.apche.org>
Subject: Re: GPL Incompatibility in Apache Tika 1.2

>On 31/05/2013 14:23, Mattmann, Chris A (398J) wrote:
>> Thanks guys.
>>
>> Reading the below, it's a test HTML file that is used to evaluate
>> HTML parsing in Tika -- it's named "evilhtml.html", and it's not
>> code - it's a test resource.
>
>The type of resource is irrelevant. It does not matter if is code, an
>image, or something else. Part of it is still GPL'd.

No it's not.

It's no more GPL'ed than any file I open up in emacs and type the text
'GPL' in.

>> So, we're not actually distributing code here,
>
>Again. The type of resource doesn't matter. Apache Tikka *is*
>distributing a GPL'd file. As per [1] GPL'd resources *may not* be
>included in Apache products.

It's not a GPL resource.

>> any more so than
>> if I write a text file called FOO.txt and say "GPL in it", and
>> then include that as a parsing resource.
>
>The text "GPL" on its own would be fine. If you add the text "This file
>is licensed under the GPL" then the file is licensed under the GPL and
>it may not be included in an Apache release.

I didn't add the text, but I think this is semantic. Apache Tika is a
parsing
toolkit and the file is included to "test" the HTML file.

It can be easily removed, but as I mentioned, I disagree with the perceived
intent.

>Further, the GPL'd file should not be in svn. [1] provides guidance how
>such files may optionally by used.
>
>Mark
>
>[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

I understand that guidance, but I'm questioning your assertion that it's
GPL.
I don't believe it is.

Anyhoo feel free to continue the discussion on dev@tika, since I've moved
the thread over there.