www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <santiago.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Source form Re: What constitutes a source release?
Date Fri, 03 May 2013 12:09:35 GMT
On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 9:54 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name>wrote:

> Sam Ruby wrote on Thu, May 02, 2013 at 15:24:29 -0400:
> > We may very well have to look at each specific font to determine what
> > the "preferred form for making modifications" would be.
>
> Why are you saying "the" preferred form?  Probably because ALv2 says so,
> but wouldn't it be better to s/the preferred/a preferred/ in the
> definition below?

I'm not a native English speaker, but "a preferred form" does not sound
precise. I guess "a suitable form" (versus "the preferred form amongst the
suitable ones") would be more precise.

People could claim that, for instance, non-obfuscated classfile format of
.java files is "a suitable form for making modifications". It is indeed,
for instance, for BCEL and other similar instrumentation tools... Just as
an example of areas where precision can be important. Agreed that for font
files or graphics this concept is not so cleancut, but Sam already outlines
a clear path to solve any such ambiguity...

Regards
Santiago