www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GPL Incompatibility in Apache Tika 1.2
Date Fri, 31 May 2013 15:11:29 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 5:57 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> The file says:
>
> 102:Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License
> 103-This software may be used without warrany provided these statements are left
> 104-intact and a "Powered By Mambo" appears at the bottom of each HTML page.
> 105-This code is available at http://www.mosforge.net
>
> Is the file dual-licensed under "either GPL or lines 103--104, at your
> choice"?

AFAICT that license header comes from a Joomla template [1] used by
the originating web site. Like many such templates, it attaches its
license header to the generated web page, but only a small part
(perhaps just the license header) of the template is really included
in the HTML file that mostly just refers to related CSS and other
style resources.

Thus Chris' point that the file is probably not under GPL, or an
interpretation that our use of it as a test resource falls within fair
use as a citation (which would cover also the non-GPL parts of the
HTML file),  is IMHO defensible.

Anyway, as mentioned by Chris, the cleanest and simplest solution here
is probably just to remove or replace any potentially troublesome bits
of the file. We only really need the structure of the file as a test
case, so any dummy content should do.

[1] http://www.joomla24.com/remository/Download/Joomla_1.0.x_Templates_II/Templates_from_Rhesus_Media_Group/Blue-Dot.html

BR,

Jukka Zitting