www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: What constitutes a source release?
Date Thu, 02 May 2013 19:24:29 GMT
On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 5:42 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> Fonts are significant IP for companies.

Hence, the importance of the license under which the font is made available.

> FontForge is an OpenSource tool that could be used to build a binary font
> from source.

Operative words: "could be".

One of the first things I learned[1] when taking this role is that the
answer to most straightforward legal questions is "it depends".

Examples of false statements:

* All text meets the Apache License's definition of "source" form.
* All text meets the Apache License's definition of "object" form.
* All fonts meet the Apache License's definition of "source" form.
* All fonts meet the Apache License's definition of "object" form.

We may very well have to look at each specific font to determine what
the "preferred form for making modifications" would be.

> Regards,
> Dave

- Sam Ruby

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/ramblings.html