www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roger L. Whitcomb" <Roger.Whitc...@actian.com>
Subject Guidelines for attributed contributions
Date Tue, 28 May 2013 19:32:35 GMT
We have some code potentially being contributed to the Pivot project,
and they would like to (somehow) attribute the code to the original
author, something like having a "Developed by so-and-so of such-and-such
company" statement somewhere, I assume permanently   I'm not sure how to
handle this.  Can someone point me to guidelines?  Does legal need to be
involved at all?  The code consists of some patches to existing files
and a handful or so of brand new files with all original code.  Is there
an agreement they should fill out above and beyond the grant of ASF
rights if they post a patch to JIRA?  AFAIK none of the other code in
the Pivot project has any such attribution within the body of the code,
although the "NOTICE" file states that the code was originally developed
at VMWare and was donated to the ASF.

Thanks,

~Roger Whitcomb

Apache Pivot PMC Chair