www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GPL Incompatibility in Apache Tika 1.2
Date Fri, 31 May 2013 14:39:55 GMT
On 31/05/2013 14:23, Mattmann, Chris A (398J) wrote:
> Thanks guys.
>
> Reading the below, it's a test HTML file that is used to evaluate
> HTML parsing in Tika -- it's named "evilhtml.html", and it's not
> code - it's a test resource.

The type of resource is irrelevant. It does not matter if is code, an
image, or something else. Part of it is still GPL'd.

> So, we're not actually distributing code here,

Again. The type of resource doesn't matter. Apache Tikka *is*
distributing a GPL'd file. As per [1] GPL'd resources *may not* be
included in Apache products.

> any more so than
> if I write a text file called FOO.txt and say "GPL in it", and
> then include that as a parsing resource.

The text "GPL" on its own would be fine. If you add the text "This file
is licensed under the GPL" then the file is licensed under the GPL and
it may not be included in an Apache release.

Further, the GPL'd file should not be in svn. [1] provides guidance how
such files may optionally by used.

Mark

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html