www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Source form Re: What constitutes a source release?
Date Thu, 02 May 2013 20:34:53 GMT
On 05/02/2013 03:54 PM, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> Sam Ruby wrote on Thu, May 02, 2013 at 15:24:29 -0400:
>> We may very well have to look at each specific font to determine what
>> the "preferred form for making modifications" would be.
>
> Why are you saying "the" preferred form?  Probably because ALv2 says so,
> but wouldn't it be better to s/the preferred/a preferred/ in the
> definition below?
>
>        "Source" form shall mean the preferred form for making modifications,
>        including but not limited to software source code, documentation
>        source, and configuration files.

I suspect that would be considered too weak, ambiguous, and subject to
mischief.  If this ever should become and issue, I would rather push
back on the relevant PMC and task them with coming to consensus and
unambiguously documenting what they collectively consider the preferred
form to be.  And furthermore, give them the responsibility to provide
timely updates should this preference ever change.

Should the result seem contentious or subject to second guessing, I
would also involve counsel at that time.

> Daniel
> (that's something we could do if/when ALv2.1 happens)

- Sam Ruby