www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: updating w.a.o/legal/resolved for Creative Commons Attribution
Date Sat, 18 May 2013 01:49:12 GMT

On May 17, 2013, at 12:31 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Version 3.0 looks ok to me. Unless I hear objections, I'll update our web site
to reflect this…

>> Done.
>
> Drilling down into the actual license, I note the following text:
>
> 4.a. "You may Distribute or Publicly Perform the Work only under the
> terms of this License."
>
> Doesn't that make this license category B?  (Note: this comment also
> applies to previous versions of the license, including versions that
> were previously approved)

This license is not viral. The terms of 4.a refer to "the Work" not to derived works. Specifically,
in 4.a "...but this does not require the Collection apart from the Work itself to be made
subject to the terms of this License".

All I think it means is that including the Work in an Apache distribution needs to preserve
the license terms of the Work.

So I don't see the issue.

Craig

>> --kevan