www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Daniel Shahaf <...@daniel.shahaf.name>
Subject Re: Guidelines for attributed contributions
Date Thu, 30 May 2013 00:56:36 GMT
Roger L. Whitcomb wrote on Tue, May 28, 2013 at 15:32:35 -0400:
> We have some code potentially being contributed to the Pivot project,
> and they would like to (somehow) attribute the code to the original
> author, something like having a "Developed by so-and-so of such-and-such
> company" statement somewhere, I assume permanently   I'm not sure how to
> handle this.  Can someone point me to guidelines?  Does legal need to be

There should be something on the website about @author tags being
discouraged.  The point is to prevent the impression that a piece of
code is "owned" by a single author / maintainer, though, so "This module
was originally contributed by X to the Y project" should be fine?

(Sorry, no time to dig a link right now.)