www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Daniel Shahaf <...@daniel.shahaf.name>
Subject Re: Source form Re: What constitutes a source release?
Date Thu, 02 May 2013 21:09:13 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote on Thu, May 02, 2013 at 16:34:53 -0400:
> On 05/02/2013 03:54 PM, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
>> Sam Ruby wrote on Thu, May 02, 2013 at 15:24:29 -0400:
>>> We may very well have to look at each specific font to determine what
>>> the "preferred form for making modifications" would be.
>>
>> Why are you saying "the" preferred form?  Probably because ALv2 says so,
>> but wouldn't it be better to s/the preferred/a preferred/ in the
>> definition below?
>>
>>        "Source" form shall mean the preferred form for making modifications,
>>        including but not limited to software source code, documentation
>>        source, and configuration files.
>
> I suspect that would be considered too weak, ambiguous, and subject to
> mischief.  If this ever should become and issue, I would rather push
> back on the relevant PMC and task them with coming to consensus and
> unambiguously documenting what they collectively consider the preferred

Thanks for the reply.  I suppose there's a way to backflip out of this
(by adding language that clarifies that the maximum implied in "the
(most) preferred" may not be unique), if we really wanted to.

Is there a place we collect issues to review at ALv3 time at?  (like
Subversion's issue tracker has "milestone=2.0" and "milestone=blue-sky")