www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: updating w.a.o/legal/resolved for Creative Commons Attribution
Date Thu, 23 May 2013 13:54:03 GMT

On May 17, 2013, at 3:31 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Version 3.0 looks ok to me. Unless I hear objections, I'll update our web site
to reflect this…

>> Done.
>
> Drilling down into the actual license, I note the following text:
>
> 4.a. "You may Distribute or Publicly Perform the Work only under the
> terms of this License."
>
> Doesn't that make this license category B?  (Note: this comment also
> applies to previous versions of the license, including versions that
> were previously approved)

Agreed. My bad… I'll scan the mailing list for prior discussions of CC-A. Barring some revelation
or new objections, seems we should move to category B.

Our treatment of CC-SA (http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html#cc-sa) seems a bit nebulous.
We should make the categorization explicit. I haven't reviewed the entire license, but 4.a
appears to be identical. Which would put it in Category B. Agreed?

--kevan