www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Source form Re: What constitutes a source release?
Date Sat, 04 May 2013 00:22:03 GMT
The determination by the court is what brings compiled fonts (the binary form) under copyright
law by ruling that they are software.  That means open-source licenses apply to them.  (Trademarks
and design patents are also applicable, but not the subject here.)

The licenses all define one way or another what of computer software is source code and what
isn't.

@Henri, I don't understand the last sentence.  The collision with ASF policy is whether or
not Category B fonts are source code or not, and what that means with respect to having them
in the SVN and in source tarballs for releases.  I assume you don't want them to be source
code because Category B source code is definitely forbidden.  Therefore ... .

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: hyandell@gmail.com [mailto:hyandell@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Henri Yandell
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2013 16:34
To: ASF Legal Discuss; Dennis Hamilton
Subject: Re: Source form Re: What constitutes a source release?

It's definitely an interesting bit of info, though I think the definition of software here
isn't the same as the law courts (ie: the definition on this thread is for the purpose of
our policy rather than our license).

It feels very odd for us to consider fonts as software given our current projects, but if
we had a project that contained Apache authored fonts (of which there are a bunch, Apache
is, gut guessing, the 4th most common font license) then it would suddenly make a lot more
sense.

I don't see us ruling out Apache from having font software so fonts are out.

Hen