www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sencha ExtJS
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2013 18:49:24 GMT

On Apr 16, 2013, at 2:16 PM, "Chen, Pei" <Pei.Chen@childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:

> It looks like there were some discussion about ExtJS some time ago last year [1] by the
isis project.
> I am curious if the stance is still for Apache Projects to stay away from Ext or if there
were some news about at their exceptions since last year.
> It would be a shame to try and replicate some of the functionality via jQuery.
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-138

I don't see any other discussions of ExtJS since the previous discussions that you mention.

I think Ralph summed things up pretty well in the Jira.

On Jun 19, 2012, at 2:42 AM, Ralph Goers (JIRA) <jira@apache.org> wrote:

> Although links 2 and 3 seem to allow the use of extjs with software under the Apache
license, it restricts downstream users from taking the Apache software and licensing it under
a license Sencha considers to be non-open source. I do not believe this restriction would
be acceptable. I would suggest looking for another alternative.

I see nothing that changes this.

--kevan