www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <juanpablo.san...@gmail.com>
Subject Advise on NOTICE file
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2013 21:23:49 GMT
Hi legal,

on a recent release vote of jspwiki at general@incubator.a.o, some concerns
were raised regarding the NOTICE file. We were kindly pointed to [#1] as a
recipee on how to conform NOTICE. However, I'd like to ask for some
clarification, particularly a sentence at [#2], namely the section
("Modifications to NOTICE"):
- "NOTICE is reserved for a certain subset of legally required
notifications which are not satisfied by either the text of LICENSE or the
presence of licensing information embedded within the dependency subtree"

The "subset of legally required notifications" seems unclear to me. From
another's vote thread, I ended up arriving to [#3] through [#6], making
these conclusions about the content of the NOTICE file (please correct any
mistaken point):

1.- it should include the text from
http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#simple

2.- for every dependency which:
      - is covered under a category B license (
http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html#category-b) OR
      - without license header (b/c it's minified, or a graphic) OR
      - (not really sure about this one) has been moved into project's
source (i.e. a js library into src/main/webapp)
2.1.- then add a copyright notification on NOTICE, i.e.: SilkIconSet (C)
Mark James. http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/

3.- test dependencies (=not present in release binary) which are not in
source (i.e.: junit downloaded as a maven dependency, used only for testing
purposes)
      don't have to have an entry in the NOTICE file

TIA

br,
juan pablo

[#1] http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html