www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: License question
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2013 12:26:22 GMT

On Apr 9, 2013, at 9:14 PM, Edward J. Yoon <edwardyoon@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The Hama project[1] is considering adding Pipes (C++ interface for
> Hama BSP) project[2] which contains GPL codes.
>
> I've committed it yesterday, because the same files[3][4] are also in
> Apache Hadoop source repository and distributions. Nevertheless, I
> would like to request your review of this patch[2] before release, and
> want to know whether there are any issues that require attention.
>
> Thanks.
>
> 1. http://hama.apache.org
> 2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HAMA-619
> 3. http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hama/trunk/c++/pipes/compile
> 4. http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/branches/branch-1/src/c++/pipes/compile

Hi Edward,
Note the following clause in the source header, which is significant to this discussion:

# As a special exception to the GNU General Public License, if you
# distribute this file as part of a program that contains a
# configuration script generated by Autoconf, you may include it under
# the same distribution terms that you use for the rest of that program.

Assuming this special exception applies to your usage, then I don't see a problem…

--kevan