www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Inconsistent typographical presentation of Apache License 2.0 text
Date Sat, 27 Apr 2013 08:28:14 GMT
On 27/04/2013 03:14, Richard Fontana wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just noticed the following:
>
> At http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html
> the subsections in section 4 are labeled by Roman numerals followed by
> a period, whereas at
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt
> they are labeled with parenthesized lowercase letters.
>
> I assume this should be considered an error (otherwise one would have
> no consistent way of referring to those subsections -- one person
> would refer to "4(d)" and another would refer to "4.4" or "4(4)"), and
> that the error is in the HTML version and not in the text
> version. Checking the Wayback Machine, this seems to have been
> introduced sometime in early 2008, whereas the .txt version seems to
> have stayed the same from the beginning.

It is a result of the move to the CMS. The HTML is generated from a page
written in markdown that appears to have some constraints on list
formatting. I'm googling for options now although I might have to go out
before I find a solution.

I also noticed that 4.4 in HTML included the text that was separate from
4.d in the text version. I've fixed this issue. If no-one else gets to
the number formatting issue first, I should be able to fix this later today.

Mark