www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Commit messages from GPL project on ASF list
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2013 12:45:17 GMT
IMO, it's inappropriate content for a dev@ list, which is
a place to *discuss* development, not an "archive" for
external development, legal issues notwithstanding.

On Mar 20, 2013, at 7:16 AM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

> I would be uncomfortable as well. If project members want to follow external projects
that's great, but duplicating all of an external project's messages onto the public dev@ list
is... not a best practice, to say the least.

> Personally, I'd have to presume (for the average user) that everything coming from that
other GPL licensed project is GPL.  Thus, this seems to violate the principle of least surprise
and the fact that GPL is Category X, which means that end users should be able to use Apache
projects and products without having to worry that GPL code is included - either in the download,
or in other places on our websites or mailing lists.