www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Commit messages from GPL project on ASF list
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2013 22:51:33 GMT
It's come to my attention that the openmeetings project has recently
subscribed their dev list to the commit messages of a Google Code hosted
project under the GPL. I asked why and was told " those updates are
interesting for our integration API." There is some overlap in committers
but the project communities do seem to be distinct other than this
cross-posting of commits.

I'm quite uncomfortable about this as it means that GPL code is passing
through our lists (and being archived) without any clear indication of its
legal status. What I'm not sure about is whether my discomfort is because
of an irrational fear of someone inadvertently using GPL code without
knowing it or whether that is, in fact, a rational fear.

Advice please?

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)