www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ctakes model
Date Sat, 30 Mar 2013 21:42:14 GMT
Depends on your definition of "Interesting". However, the section you
are quoting seems to me to be already sufficient for a

  "Don't use this stuff in any Apache project."

ASL'ed software is definitely supposed to be usable without such restrictions.

OTOH, I understand your question like this:

"svmlight is used to generate something called 'models'." If that is
correct, the quoted section doesn't necessarily apply
to those models. In fact, I'd contact the author for a definite statement.

Jochen

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 6:38 AM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
> "This program is granted free of charge for research and education
> purposes. However you must obtain a license from the author to use it
> for commercial purposes."
>
> Interesting one.
>
> Hen
>
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 7:04 AM, Tim Miller
> <timothy.miller@childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:
>> We are using a software package called svmlight and a derivative called
>> svmlight-tk to train machine learning models in research. If the results are
>> good we would like to include the models in cTAKES. We thought we should
>> consult legal because this software uses a custom license not covered by
>> FAQs, and we just want to be on the safe side. The full text of the license
>> is attached.
>> (Just in case the attachment doesn't work I was able to find it on the web
>> here: http://morphix-nlp.berlios.de/manual/node48.html but not at the
>> svmlight webpage.)
>>
>> To be clear, we do not want to redistribute the svmlight or svmlight-tk
>> source or binaries or even use maven to download them. There is code in
>> clearTK which can read these models and process new data and is license
>> compatible. We are only talking about distributing models trained with the
>> svmlight and svmlight-tk packages.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Tim Miller, PhD
>> Postdoctoral Research Fellow
>> Children's Hospital Informatics Program
>> Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard Medical School
>> 617-919-1223

"That's what prayers are ... it's frightened people trying to make
friends with the bully!"

Terry Pratchett. The Last Hero