www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ctakes model - distribution encumbered?
Date Thu, 28 Mar 2013 23:30:53 GMT

On Mar 28, 2013, at 5:09 PM, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:

> First, I am not a Lawyer; these are just personal opinions from reading the
> license.  It seems that there might be two restrictions on users of CTakes with
> these models, from the referenced license for SVM-Light.
>
> The first one - it seems that you would need to prohibit down-stream users of
> CTakes from using the models produced by this software for other than "research
> and education" purposes.

Well, that would certainly be a non-starter. However, I'm not sure the license says that.
If downstream users aren't using svmlight software, would they be bound by the terms of the
license? I don't think that's really spelled out in the license. Though that may have been
the author's desire...

I have a question about the project members' use of svmlight software. Are they using the
software for "research and education purposes"? Or commercial purposes?

My answer would be neither. In which case, it would seem that project members do not have
a license to use svmlight.

I would suggest that the CTakes project contact the author. Explain what you want to do with
the software, ask for clarification, and see if the licensing issue(s) can be resolved.

> The 2nd one is that down-stream users of CTakes who produce "scientific results"
> using the "models" produced with this software would seem to be encumbered by
> the Licensing term which states that "Scientific results produced using the
> software provided shall acknowledge the use of SVM-Light...".  The case I'm
> thinking of: a users downloads CTakes, and produces some scientific results,
> using the models that you distribute.

That would be a non-starter, too. But my understanding of Tim's email is that clearTK can
read the models and clearTK is not encumbered by the svmLight license. And that gets us back
to the above questions...

--kevan