www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Philip Odence <pode...@blackducksoftware.com>
Subject Re: Derivative Works
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2013 12:27:41 GMT
A more comprehensive license list with short identifiers is the SPDX list:
http://spdx.org/licenses/

The SPDX group works with OSI and have synchronized the identifiers. The
list goes a bit beyond the OSI list, aspiring to cover most of the
commonly used free licenses, some of which are not OSI-approved licenses.
(The group absolutely advocates using approved licenses, but the list is
for developing bills of material for code that may not have stuck to that
practice.) For each license there is an indication a to whether the
license has been OSI-approved. Also, for each link to a URL (which will
not change) to the license text so that the short identifier is
unambiguously associated with a specific license.

(SPDX itself is a standard format for describing copyright and licensing
of a package which utilizes the short identifiers for compactness, but
also allows for inclusion licenses not on the list.)

Phil Odence
Black Duck Software

Chairman SPDX Group