www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Aahit <aah...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derivative Works
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2013 11:50:15 GMT
Hi,

The definition of a derivative work is a subject of much debate and it
varies by jurisdictions. All these complex definitions have already
addressed by the Berne Convention and WIPO Copyright Treaty.

Considering that you are a tech guy, Derivative work is:

1.      Alteration of the existing work – e.g. modifying the lines.

2.      Combining new work to the existing work – e.g. adding new code to
existing code.

Hence, in both the circumstances it will be considered as a derivative
work. See below for further explanations:

[image: Inline image 1]

I hope this help clarifying your doubts.

 Regards,

Aahit Gaba

In-House Counsel,

Lyra Infosystems Pvt. Ltd., Bangalore