www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: To IP Clearance? or not?
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2013 00:23:09 GMT
And also, just to be clear, the original decision by the software
authors to distribute their code under the Apache License is all
the permission we need to include it in our code base, with or
without changes, provided the license terms are adhered to.
The larger social issues are about forking the project away
from the original maintainer, which might be rude (or might be
necessary), or redistributing under the original package name,
which causes confusion and might violate trademarks not granted
by our license.

In short, the policy is:

  Obey the license and follow the golden rule.

I would not want to make it any more specific than that,
since there are often cases where the original maintainer
is absent or unreasonably hostile.

....Roy