www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Derivative Works
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2013 23:24:36 GMT
On 2/18/2013 10:54 AM, Prashant Shah wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 8:46 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
>> Prashant Shah wrote on Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 11:23:06 +0530:
>>> APL 2.0
>>
>> If you meant to refer to the Apache License, version 2.0, you should not
>> have used a "P" (nor an "S") in your acronym.
>
> Sorry, I wrongly assumed it to be Apache "Public" License (APL).

No worries, it's a common mistake.  The best place for license
names/abbreviations seems to be:

http://opensource.org/licenses/alphabetical

Except that we call it the AL for Apache License.

Separately, note that trademarks are somewhat different than licenses.
So if you take product "X", make changes to it, and then re-distribute
it, you should be careful how you brand the product you're
re-distributing.  Depending on what changes you made - and what kind of
software it is - you either may or may *not* call your distribution "X".

Good luck with your project.

- Shane