www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Modifying license for personal use
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2013 17:13:38 GMT
You can "do" anything you want, the question is whether or
not the resulting license is one that people will choose
to accept when looking at code...

For licenses to be officially recognized as Open Source,
they must be approved by OSI and the license must adhere
to the conditions of the OSD (The FSF has a similar process).
By creating your own license, it is no longer OSI-approved
and the the onus on "is this an open source license and
is it safe to use" is placed on the end-user, and if its
not on the OSI list, most developers (and pretty much
all companies, gov't, etc) will refuse to use the code
that's under that license.