www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Clarification of "distribution" under the SGA
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2013 18:13:10 GMT
On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59@srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> The SGA contains the following:
>
> "Grant of Copyright License. Subject to the terms and conditions
> of this Agreement, You hereby grant to the Foundation and to
> recipients of software distributed by the Foundation a perpetual,
> worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable
> copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of,
> publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute
> Your Contributions and such derivative works."
>
> and similar language for patents. Is a checkout of code from an Apache
> svn repository considered "software distributed by the Foundation", even
> if said code is in an unreleased branch?

By way of background, this is recurring question that has come up with
OpenOffice.  What is the status of code that has been contributed to
the ASF by SGA, but but yet been taken through an Podling release, or
IP Clearance and a normal release.  In that intermediate stage, what
do we say about the ability of others to use the code?

IMHO, we can say little or nothing.  How could we if it has not get
gone through a release?  The release via our due diligence and vote is
the mechanism that we (the ASF, via a PMC) use to make a firm
statement about code.

-Rob