www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Engel Nyst <engel.n...@gmail.com>
Subject On submission of contributions clause
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2013 06:28:01 GMT
Hello legal-discuss,

I appreciate a bit of clarification related to the Submission of
Contributions clause terms and its effects.

---
5. Submission of Contributions.
Unless You explicitly state otherwise, any Contribution intentionally
submitted for inclusion in the Work by You to the Licensor shall be
under the terms and conditions of this License, without any additional
terms or conditions. Notwithstanding the above, nothing herein shall
supersede or modify the terms of any separate license agreement you
may have executed with Licensor regarding such Contributions.
---

Why is the second phrase necessary?

I ask because the common understanding is: if you have a piece of code
under a license, and the same piece of code under another license,
then you can freely pick whichever you want. So the second phrase
shouldn't be necessary, unless it's possible otherwise.

If I change this phrase to its opposite,
---
These terms shall supersede or modify the terms of any separate license
    agreement you may have executed with Licensor regarding such Contributions.
---
does that have any legal validity? What are the consequences of doing
so? Or the worst consequences.

Thank you for any answers.