www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Reto Bachmann-Gmür <r...@apache.org>
Subject license header suitable both for code at ASF as well as for other apache licensed code
Date Sat, 12 Jan 2013 11:38:13 GMT
Hello,

My default code templates have a license header starting with "Licensed to
the Apache Software Foundation (ASF)". However occasionally I share the
code by other mean instead or before adding it to an apache project. I
understand I should then use a license header as describe by
http://apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html#apply.

As changing headers is tedious I was wondering:
- Does using the "Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF)"- header
for code that never goes to Apache but stays e.g. on Github causes harm?
- Could I apply a header saying something like ASF header first and
fallback saying that if the ASF does not licenses the code to you I license
it directy to you under the terms of the Apache license?

Cheers,
Reto