www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: To IP Clearance? or not?
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2013 16:47:22 GMT
On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 4:38 PM, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
> Hi folks:
>
> CloudStack is currently discussing adding some code which includes
> some chunks of 3rd party code that is licensed under ALv2. [1]
>
> Essentialy the situation is:
>
> * Developer found some ALv2 code that fit a specific need from a
> non-ASF open source project that is in the same space.
> * Developer modified that code to work in CloudStack
> * Developer submitted that for review/inclusion, at which point
> someone noted the Copyright attributions and our discussion began.
> * If accepted (and I think the assumption is that it would be) the
> code would be included in the CloudStack codebase and distributed in
> future CloudStack releases.
> * The total line count is around 1500 lines of code that wasn't
> developed specifically for CloudStack

The issue here is the absolute requirements that all code
contributions be _voluntary_. The policy has been that ' very small'
bits of code under 'category A' licenses can be committed, but, if
it's larger than small, it must be actively contributes by its author.
Whether we need IP clearance is again a matter of judgement based on
size.

It strikes me as too big to be collected without active participation
from the author, but I leave it to others to comment on whether it's
big enough to require full IP clearance.