www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Creative Commons License (was: checking in wiki)
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2013 00:33:00 GMT
On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Tim Miller
<timothy.miller@childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:
> The license is share alike 3.0, the reasons we need advice is because we are
> using modified/derived version (the clause in the legal FAQ starts
> "Unmodified media..."). Specifically, we built a lucene index with 5000
> wikipedia articles relating to medicine. Each article is modified by
> reducing it to list of words and their counts in that article. Is there some
> advice on whether this sort of modification is allowable or whether it
> disqualifies?

A language model derived from a corpus is not necessarily a derived
work of the corpus. Opinions vary. Some would tell you that it's a new
work entirely, and you own it. Others would tell you that you need a
specific license from the original content owners.