www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject To IP Clearance? or not?
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2013 16:38:07 GMT
Hi folks:

CloudStack is currently discussing adding some code which includes
some chunks of 3rd party code that is licensed under ALv2. [1]

Essentialy the situation is:

* Developer found some ALv2 code that fit a specific need from a
non-ASF open source project that is in the same space.
* Developer modified that code to work in CloudStack
* Developer submitted that for review/inclusion, at which point
someone noted the Copyright attributions and our discussion began.
* If accepted (and I think the assumption is that it would be) the
code would be included in the CloudStack codebase and distributed in
future CloudStack releases.
* The total line count is around 1500 lines of code that wasn't
developed specifically for CloudStack

We are seeking clarity around whether or not IP Clearance is needed
for the body of code that came from the other project. (We've had a
plethora of IP Clearance requests of late, and as much as it appears
that we are fascinated with them, we really aren't looking to
unnecessarily add to our burden, yet at the same time we don't want to
shirk our responsibilities either)

Reading content like this:
http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#import

And this sentence from the Incubator's IP Clearance page:
"From time to time, an external codebase is brought into the ASF that
is not a separate incubating project but still represents a
substantial contribution that was not developed within the ASF's
source control system and on our public mailing lists"

All seem to suggest that IP Clearance is the method for bringing in
third party code.

At the same time - the docs are mainly centered around code donations
- and this is not one of those situations in that the authors and
copyright holders are not involved in the proposed inclusion.

We've discussed this briefly with one of our mentors who suggested
bringing the discussion here for clarity.

Thoughts, comments, flames?

--David

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-cloudstack-dev/201301.mbox/%3C81A73678E76EA642801C8F2E4823AD21014183070752%40LONPMAILBOX01.citrite.net%3E