www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ben Reser <...@reser.org>
Subject Re: Subversion, encryption, export restrictions, etc.
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2013 20:06:34 GMT
On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Philip Martin <philip@codematters.co.uk> wrote:
> Subversion is designed to work with APR and APR-Util, which are 5D002
> items according to http://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/, so under the
> old rules Subversion should be a 5D002 item as well.
>
> Perhaps I'm misunderstanding things, but according to the old rules
> adding an encrypted credentials store doesn't change anything since
> Subversion should already be under the restrictions.

Right, I was mentioning that because it might be important.  Under the
old rules even just providing the ability to use another library
required export compliance.  That may have changed under the new
rules.

It's not clear to me if simply using APR/APR-Util made you 5D002.
Windows for instance has encryption APIs.  I believe they are in
separate DLLs.  I'm pretty sure simply running on Windows doesn't make
you 5D002.  But is that because you don't link/load the DLLs that
include the encryption code.  Or is it because you don't use the APIs
even if you do link to those DLLs.  In APR's case the encryption code
is not separated into a separate shared object, so it may not have the
same lines as Windows does.