www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: To IP Clearance? or not?
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2013 22:10:00 GMT
We don't have a legal issue with accepting Apache License code,
assuming the license has been followed (i.e., we have to follow
the exact terms of our own license, just like we expect others
to do, which means all changes must be conspicuously marked).

The social issue is far too complicated for a trite answer.
It depends a lot on the current maintainer.  There is certainly
no harm in bringing the code in with a third party contribution
and then notifying the maintainer about it --- ask them if they'd
like it as an upstream contribution, or would prefer that we
change the package naming to avoid confusion.  We aren't going
to insult them by asking, but we do need to be careful that
we don't accidentally distribute different software under their
name or make it seem like we want to destroy their project.

And, by "we" here, I mean the project that wants to import the code.
Don't expect anyone else to do the laundry.

....Roy