www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Chen, Pei" <Pei.C...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject RE: Creative Commons License (was: checking in wiki)
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2013 21:56:57 GMT
Thanks for the info Ted.  I also had the same interpretation but decided to contact the folks
at Wikipedia just to make sure-  Below was their response.

I am not an attorney, but If I am reading it correctly, I *think* we should be able include
it in the project and add the attribution to the NOTICE/LICENSE.

Do you know if this is something that we would be required to get an okay from Apache Legal?

Re: [Ticket#2013010310007005] Creative Commons License and Apache (was: checking in wiki)

Dear Chen Pei,

Thank you for your email.  Our response follows your message.

01/03/2013 16:35 - Chen Pei wrote:

> Dear Licensing@Wikipedia,

> We have an incubator project on the Apache Software Foundation and had

question about reusing content from Wikipedia.

> We built a Lucene index with 5000 wikipedia articles relating to

> medicine. Each

article is modified by reducing it to list of words and their counts in that article.  Would
this term count transformation be okay from the Wikipedia license to be including inside an
ASL 2.0 project?  Is it considered new work or do we need a specific license for this purpose?

http://markmail.org/search/+list:org.apache.legal.discuss#query:%20list%3Aorg.apache.legal.discuss+page:1+mid:ocui6ty64xesc4b4+state:results

> Thanks,

> Pei

In principle, all text in Wikipedia is subject to the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike
License (CC-BY-SA) and may be used free of charge for any purpose. Reading more about the
license should help explain it in simpler terms:

<https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/> Images and other media files may be
subject to other licenses, which can be seen upon clicking on the desired image or file.

A specific permission for reusing the content is not necessary, as long as the re-user observes
the license conditions. CC-BY-SA allows commercial use. The only thing that needs to be done
is attribution ('BY'), which can simply be a link to the history page of an article <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Page_history>,

and re-releasing the content under similar licenses <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Share-alike>
('SA').

For more information please see:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyrights> or <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Reuse>.

Please note: Neither the Wikimedia Foundation, nor the authors of articles on Wikimedia sites,
nor the volunteers answering mail to this address provide legal advice. It is your responsibility,
if you intend to reuse content from Wikimedia sites, to determine how the licenses of the
content that we host apply to your intended uses.

Yours sincerely,

--

Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org

---

Disclaimer: all mail to this address is answered by volunteers, and responses are not to be
considered an official statement of the Wikimedia Foundation. For official correspondence,
please contact the Wikimedia Foundation by certified mail at the address listed on https://www.wikimediafoundation.org