www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Modifying license for personal use
Date Sun, 13 Jan 2013 01:44:27 GMT
Hi,

IANAL. You can certainly remove any sections that don't please you.

But if you choose to use a license that lots of people know about (the
Apache license) and then change it, you might as well just go and
create your own license. No one will recognize your license and have
any idea what it really means. And you will not get people to adopt
your code with a special license.

If you are trying to have people use your code but not redistribute
it, I don't understand why you want an open-source-like license in the
first place.

Regards,

Craig

On Jan 10, 2013, at 1:33 AM, Prashant Shah wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> No, it is not better than the original.  The Apache license
>> terms are based on actual things controlled by copyright (this
>> clause)
>> and patents (the clause after this).  The MIT license is just a
>> jumble
>> of vague permissions that only cover a subset of both.
>
> Thanks for your input - it was very helpful.
>
> One last thing, in the "Redistribution." clause is it ok to remove the
> sub-sections 1, 2, & 4 ?
>
> ------------------------------
> 4. Redistribution. You may reproduce and distribute copies of the Work
> or Derivative Works thereof in any medium, with or without
> modifications, and in Source or Object form, provided that You meet
> the following conditions:
>
>   1. You must give any other recipients of the Work or Derivative
> Works a copy of this License; and
>
>   2. You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices
> stating that You changed the files; and
>
>   3. You must retain, in the Source form of any Derivative Works that
> You distribute, all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution
> notices from the Source form of the Work, excluding those notices that
> do not pertain to any part of the Derivative Works; and
>
>   4. If the Work includes a "NOTICE" text file as part of its
> distribution, then any Derivative Works that You distribute must
> include a readable copy of the attribution notices contained within
> such NOTICE file, excluding those notices that do not pertain to any
> part of the ...
>
> Regards.

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle