www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Having a binary build pull maven artifacts from a university repository?
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2013 17:44:12 GMT

On 1/28/2013 11:01 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 5:45 PM, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:
>> Is it OK to have builds for convenience binaries also pull from non-Maven
>> controlled repositories?
> As long as the licensing is OK I don't see any big problems with that.
>
> Note however that if you want to publish the results of such builds on
> the central Maven repository, you'll need to get rid of such custom
> repository dependencies.

I looked for ref to this requirement, and found the opposite - which says it's OK:

http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-central-repository-upload.html
(see first FAQ entry).   Do you have another ref for the position which says we
need to get rid of these dependencies?

I do agree it's better to not have dependencies on non-standard repositories.
The artifacts we're talking about are Eclipse plugins, released by the Eclipse
project, so they're not "controlled" by us.  There have been multiple reqiests
from the community asking them to put up (more current) versions of their
artifacts, causing quite a bit of debate, but not too much action.

-Marshall