www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: To IP Clearance? or not?
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2013 17:08:10 GMT
On Jan 31, 2013, at 11:48 AM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 4:38 PM, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
>> Hi folks:
>>
>> CloudStack is currently discussing adding some code which includes
>> some chunks of 3rd party code that is licensed under ALv2. [1]
>>
>> Essentialy the situation is:
>>
>> * Developer found some ALv2 code that fit a specific need from a
>> non-ASF open source project that is in the same space.
>> * Developer modified that code to work in CloudStack
>> * Developer submitted that for review/inclusion, at which point
>> someone noted the Copyright attributions and our discussion began.
>> * If accepted (and I think the assumption is that it would be) the
>> code would be included in the CloudStack codebase and distributed in
>> future CloudStack releases.
>> * The total line count is around 1500 lines of code that wasn't
>> developed specifically for CloudStack
>
> The issue here is the absolute requirements that all code
> contributions be _voluntary_. The policy has been that ' very small'
> bits of code under 'category A' licenses can be committed, but, if
> it's larger than small, it must be actively contributes by its author.
> Whether we need IP clearance is again a matter of judgement based on
> size.

Benson,

Do you happen to have a reference to a discussion and / or policy doc
that we can read through for more context?  I went looking, and I
appear to be struggling with my google-foo.

I'm personally struggling with the difference between a code donation
and included bit of source code that could be properly attributed (via
LICENSE and NOTICE) to the orig source.

Thanks for the support.

-chip