www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Matthew Garrett <mj...@srcf.ucam.org>
Subject Re: Clarification of "distribution" under the SGA
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2013 19:11:23 GMT
On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 11:06:10AM -0800, Joe Schaefer wrote:
> An SGA is between "you" and the "org", not
> you and the general public.  All we are doing
> is exercising one of the rights granted to us
> in the SGA- the right to public redistribution.

Ok, I may be misunderstanding the SGA. Point 2 says:

"You hereby grant to the Foundation and to recipients of software
distributed by the Foundation a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive,
no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable copyright license to reproduce,
prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform,
sublicense, and distribute Your Contributions and such derivative
works."

To me, that reads as a grant of rights to the general public in addition
to the rights granted to the Foundation. If I obtain code from the
Foundation that was provided to the Foundation under the SGA (and
obviously I should perform appropriate diligence to ensure that that's
the case), I'd have thought that I had been granted a license to
exercise the rights described. Are you saying that that's not the case
unless the copyright holder has somehow granted me an additional
license?

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org