www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Customer reference in NOTICE
Date Thu, 22 Nov 2012 21:11:26 GMT
On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 4:07 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgrosso@apache.org
> wrote:

>  1. the feature we are talking about (Role Provisioning) was already
> present in Syncope's roadmap [5] *before* any external engagement

That is fine.

>   2. I've created a separate branch for development purpose only, since
> its scope is to be eventually merged into the trunk - as reported in
> SYNCOPE-171 [6] (and explicitly requested by SURFnet, anyway)

Creating a separate branch for development is a fine thing and if you are a
committer, I think you should decide whether it is in the APache repo or
something like github.

Your funder can constrain whether you publicize this work or not as it is
in development.  Developing in the open is good, generally.

  3. This is my customer's customer request, not mine, and I am only
> checking the compliance with ASF rules and principles; if this is not
> feasible, I will just report to them

That's all well and good.  What is out of line is if your customer is
effectively trying to bind ASF in the matter of whether their funded
contributions are included in the release.  The ASF won't guarantee that
and you should make clear that you can't either.

Having said that, I'd like to understand what "doesn't feel right" exactly:

>  a) the fact that someone is paying someone else to develop some code for
> a feature in roadmap, and also requested such feature to be contributed
> back to the original project instead of laying in some private repository

No problem here.

>  b) the fact that they requested to report such fact into the project's
> NOTICE file

The easiest way to require an acknowledgment is to originally license the
code with a BSD license.  That allows the community to see the issues on
the code itself.  It also kind of implies that you do the development an a
non-Apache repo.