www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: short file short notices
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2012 02:57:58 GMT
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:
> Craig Russell wrote:
>> For many years, Apache have not put copyright notices into each file.
>
> So what?

I'm dismayed -- it was not my intention to reopen the copyright notification
can of worms.

> I answered the question as I believe it should be answered. I don't give
> much credit to past Apache practices in this regard.

Here are some links for the benefit of those who may wish to review:

    http://markmail.org/message/ipbolanasvfvk6tr
    http://markmail.org/message/elncbqwzfwesaobo
    http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2004/board_minutes_2004_11_14.txt

Also, Members may wish to peruse board@a.o in the months leading up to that
November 2004 resolution.

> Of course, I stand
> ready to be corrected by an actual attorney or by anyone who can point to an
> authority other than some Apache FAQ.
>
> If there is an Apache *policy* not to include copyright notices, I'd
> appreciate hearing a justification for that other than merely "I don't
> wanna...."

It seems that achieving consensus on the current language was incredibly
laborious and painful.  Being a fool, I have my own amateurish suspicions that
improvements are possible, but whatever I might write now is a drop in a lake
of ink already spilled.

Therefore, I withdraw my objection to the license-footer-with-header-pointer
solution and offer a +1 instead.  It's an awkward approach, but if we can't
come up with short header language without relitigating the copyright
notification issue, it's better than nothing.

Marvin Humphrey