www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Rob Vesse <rve...@yarcdata.com>
Subject Clarification on hosting prohibited works on Apache Servers
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2012 18:13:26 GMT
Hi All

I recently noticed that a TLP who I follow (Lucene.Net) may have fallen afoul of the Apache
policy on the hosting of prohibited works on Apache servers and would like to get clarification
on whether they have done anything wrong and what would need to happen to rectify the problem
(if there is one).

The issue I'm concerned about is that their releases have a dependency on a prohibited work
(GPL) which as I understand is not in of itself prohibited and I should add that their release
packages do not contain this dependency directly.  However they do contain a ReadMe stating
that these dependencies are required (again as I understand also OK) but the problem I think
they have is that their ReadMe points users to download copies of these dependencies from
a directory on the Apache SVN server (https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene.net/tags/Lucene.Net_3_0_3_RC1/lib/)
which as I understood it is not allowed.

Can someone clarify if they have done anything wrong and if so what steps if any they should
take to rectify this?

I already raised this on the project dev list (http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucenenet-dev/201211.mbox/%3cCCB99F74.18213%25rvesse@dotnetrdf.org%3e)
and got contrary reposes from their PMC – one said he thought they may have done something
wrong and would fix it and another who thought they hadn't done anything wrong.  So a clarification
here from legal which I could forward onto the PMC would be really helpful.

Thanks,

Rob Vesse